Wednesday, November 28, 2018

UUGGHH...The Holidays





I struggle with the Holidays...meaning Thanksgiving and Christmas

There are things I LOVE about each and things I can do without.

I love getting together with the whole family and having a meal.  Why do we "need" a holiday to do that?  All that work, cooking a turkey for 5 hours and its gone in 5 minutes.  The whole prep work is exhausting....and no one really helps.  It all falls on the person who is hosting.

I have the same issue with Christmas dinner. 

Christmas presents is a whole other issue.  I love giving gifts...but I love giving meaningful gifts or giving things that people need and just won't or don't buy for themselves.

I don't even care if I get gifts.  If there is something I want badly enough I buy it myself.  Because I knew I would get the whole "what do you want for Christmas" question and nothing never seems to be a well received answer, I purposely haven't purchased an item that I want...the Fitbit Versa.  So when asked that is what I said I wanted...but apparently ONE item is also NOT enough.  I'm half tempted to just go and get it myself and screw up everyone's holiday.  LOL

I don't like buy/giving gifts because its expected.  Take for instance my mom (who I love dearly).  She has everything she needs or wants but expects no less than 5 gifts at Christmas.  If she doesn't get them she whines and looks miserable.  She is also impossible to shop for...I ask her every year what she wants...the answer is always I don't know.  If you get her candy (that she loves) she opens it and says what am I supposed to do with this? 

Then we have the grandkids...who I always feel the need to spoil with lots of presents.  Which I do.  But I asked our Granddaughter the other day who is 7 if she knows why we celebrate Christmas and Thanksgiving.  She had no idea....and couldn't even guess.

I find that sad. 

1 comment:

  1. I understand some of your feelings. I am now a mother of grown up children. When they ask what I want I say I want them to buy themselves something nice as I want them to be happy. They buy me gifts anyway and that is nice, but I totally understand, if I want something I just get it.

    ReplyDelete